Warning: mysqli_real_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50651 Library:50562 in /home/t204g1dawdyl/public_html/wp-includes/class-wpdb.php on line 1775
How Much Chocolate Is Bad For A Dog – Weiner Doggy

October 28

How Much Chocolate Is Bad For A Dog



Most dog owners know that chocolate is toxic to dogs

The question is how much chocolate is bad for a dog?

Especially with holidays like Halloween and Easter you might have chocolates laying on the table where you dachshund might accidently get at when you are not looking.

If they eat it how much of it would be dangerous and life threatening?

The two chemicals that are toxic are theobromine and caffeine. They both will cause symptoms. The theobromine is more impactful and will last longer.

Here are the symptoms of consuming chocolate by your dog.

The signs of toxic poisoning are panting, being restless, frequent urination, increased thirst, heart rate increase, diarrhea, and vomiting.

Then when the chocolate poisoning is severe is when they start having muscle tremors, go into a seizure and finally heart failure.

how much chocolate is bad for a dog

So now the question is how much chocolate is bad for a dog before it is toxic poisoning?

Vets Now lists a chart to show how much Theobromine consumed with the weight of your dog can be toxic.

If your dog got into chocolate, these symptoms will show up from four to 24 hours after eaten. You will need to look for the symptoms and get treatment immediately from your vet.

Dark chocolate will contain about 230 mg of theobromine per ounce and thus is more dangerous. Milk chocolate has 60 mg per ounce, and then any baked good with chocolates are even lower mg per ounce.

Now you that you can determine how much chocolate is bad for a dog the next question is what you need to do if your dog eats chocolate?

Conclusion:  How much chocolate is bad for a dog.

If you found out they just ate chocolate you want to look to see the amount they ate with the chart and the weight of your dog.

Then if they ate enough to be toxic you want to try and induce vomiting.
Do this by getting a bottle hydrogen peroxide.

You need 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of your dog’s weight and a maximum of 3 tablespoons. 3 Teaspoons make up 1 tablespoon, so the maximum dose for any dog that weighs more than 45 pounds is 3 tablespoons.

If the hydrogen peroxide works your dog probably will vomit in about 2 to 5 minutes after the dose. You want to see a lot of chocolate in their vomit and if you see the amount of chocolate in their vomit they will probably be okay.

If they don't vomit after 5 minutes you need to call your vet or emergency animal clinic. 

Also take your dog to do the vet if they ate a large amount of chocolate.

Dark chocolate is worse as it contains more theobromine than milk chocolate or baked goods with chocolate.

If they show any of the 7 signs listed earlier in this article then get them to a vet or emergency animal clinic immediately. 

Loved this? Spread the word

About the Author

I have owned dachshunds for the past 28 years and they have been part of my family and my life.

I had my first dachshund develop a back issue, but by giving him natural joint supplements he was able to be pain free the rest of his life. He lived to be 17 years old.

My goal is to help other dachshund owners by providing the best healthy dog food choices, natural supplements, and training. ​

I continue to learn from dog breeders, vets, and scientific research to help your dachshund live a long and healthy life.


Related posts