How To Trim Dog Nails
Do you have the vet trim your dachshund’s nails when you take them into checkups?
Or do you have a dog groomer trim your dachshund's nails?
Either of these will cost you money and it is more affordable if you can trim dog nails yourself.
However, many dachshund owners are afraid to do this as it can be a challenge.
Your dachshund might hate getting their nails trimmed and will squirm and wiggle, and you might be afraid to clip too much nail and hurt them.
Here are 10 steps to trim dog nails.
1. Purchase a dog grooming hammock as this will hold your dachshund in place so you can safely trim their nails.
If you don’t have a dog grooming hammock, your dachshund might not lay still and squirm and wiggle and try and get away.
The dog hammock will reduce the time and effort to try and keep them still so you can safely trim their nails.
2. Next, before you trim their nails you practice by holding their paw and touching it first. They might try and pull back their paw.
Try it again and hold their paw for a few seconds at a time. . Then reward them with a treat.
Keep practicing this a few times per day, and reward them with a treat. If they don’t pull back their paw, now softly touch his nails.
Eventually, they will stop pulling back their paw when you hold it and touch their nail.
3. Purchase a dog trimmer instead of regular nail clippers.
This is important especially if you have never trimmed a dog’s nails before.
Many dog trimmers are safe so you can grind down their nail, whereas with a clipper you could cut too deep into their vein which can cause pain and draw some blood.
Here is a recommended dog trimmer so you can safely trim dog nails
Casfuy Dog Nail Grinder
4. Now after you have the hamock and dog trimmer you are ready to begin.
5. Put your dog in the hammock
6. talk to them to keep them distracted and give them a treat.
7. If you have a long-haired dachshund, you will want to clip some of the hair around their toes before you start using the dog trimmer.
Once you do that, now gently hold their paw and insert the dog trimmer.
Use the slower setting, to begin with, and go slow and give them treats. Trim the nail on their paw and praise them (saying good dog) and give them a treat.
The Casfuy dog nail trimmer allows you to grind their nails without cutting too deep.
Now go to the next paw and repeat the same process.
8. Now when you are finished trimming their nails, give them a final treat, praise them and pet them.
It is important to make this a positive experience for them.
9. Many dachshund owners recommend trimming their nails about once a month, but it depends on how much exercise they get on hard surfaces.
If they get a lot of exercise on hard surfaces they might be able to go longer without trimming their nails.
10. At some point when you have trimmed their nails enough times, you could avoid using the dog hammock and they can lay on their side while you trim their nails.
Conclusion: Trim Dog Nails
Go slowly through the steps and make your dog comfortable by praising them and giving them a treat.
Here are the recommended products.
Casfuy Dog Nail Grinder Upgraded - Professional 2-Speed Electric Rechargeable Pet Nail Trimmer Painless Paws Grooming & Smoothing for Small Medium Large Dogs & Cats (White)
Dog Hammock Harness
I am a member of the Amazon Associates program. I like to recommend products in my posts that I feel may truly be helpful to dog owners. If you do end up buying the products by clicking the links on my site, I may receive a tiny amount of commission. However, it isn't any extra cost to you.